Welcome to Andrew Price!
Andrew Price Memorial United Methodist Church
Saturday, October 21, 2017
A Community of Seekers Celebrating and Sharing God's Love!

History

 

 
Andrew Price Memorial United Methodist Church is located at 2846 Lebanon Pike in Nashville, Tennessee.  It has a history that begins before 1850.  At that time, a group of Methodists organized the Donelson Methodist Episcopal Church, South.  About fifty of these determined Methodists met at McWhirter’s Tavern because there was no church building.  As membership grew, a man by the name of Jere Brown Jr. donated a plot of ground near Stones River Bluff where a log-meeting house was built in 1856.
 
By 1870, a new building was needed because of growing membership.  A new two-story building was erected on property on Donelson Pike (then called Depot Pike) across from the present location of Bluefield Avenue.  By the turn of the century, more room was needed.
 
In 1904, Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Price, then owners of the Clover Bottom Farm, donated a two-acre tract of land on Lebanon Road.  Andrew Price was a millionaire from Louisiana who made a fortune raising sugar cane.  He bought Clover Bottom for a summer home to escape from the muggy heat of Louisiana.  This is the current location of the church. 
 
In 1907, the church’s name was changed to Andrew Price United Methodist Church and the word “Memorial” was added following the death of Mr. Price.
 
Through the years, additions were made to the church when the increasing church membership dictated.  By 1958, membership had grown to where two morning worship services were necessary.  A Larger sanctuary was required.  The present brick sanctuary was added to the original structure.  The church formally dedicated its fellowship hall and sanctuary on November 5, 1959.  With completion of the new sanctuary, the original sanctuary was seldom used.  In 1974, it was restored as the church’s chapel and was dedicated on October 6, 1974.  It continues to be in use today and recently the church celebrated the 100th anniversary of the birth of the chapel.
 
In April 1965, Andrew Price Memorial UMC announced plans to build a parsonage on Knobveiw Drive.  The membership in 1967 was approximately 2000.
 
In August 1971, the Shade Tree Sunday School Class began supporting one college freshman by contributing five hundred dollars towards expenses to any accredited college.  They continued these scholarships for several years.
 
Several times though the years, the church hosted the Community Thanksgiving Service, sponsored by the Donelson-Hermitage Ministerial Association. Each autumn, the church holds their annual fall festival and bazaar.  These bazaars occur in November and prepare patrons for the Christmas season with a diverse array of articles for sale.  The church also holds annual Holy Week services.
 
The church is an avid supporter of scouting.  The shade tree class has supported BSA Troop 30 for over 75 years.  In 2004, a Brownie troop was added.
 
Six periods of expansion were made necessary by the growth of church and community: 1856, 1870, 1904, 1922, 1948, 1959 and 1998.
 
Pastors for the last 20 years include:
  • Frank Smith           1981 - 1984
  • Woodward A. Adams     1984 - 1989
  • Gordon G. Meadors     1989 - 1993
  • William E. Lovell     1993 - 1997
  • Donald R. Choate      1997 - 1999
  • Denman E. Frazer      1999 - 2007
  • Von Unruh             2007 - 2008
  • John Meeks            2008 - 2010
  • Melisa Derseweh       2011-Present
 
 
The church celebrated 150 years of worship in September 2000 with a series of events.